Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Basic Lab Monitor Responsibilities
- Wear Name Tag/Ram Card during shift. This will help identify you as a library Lab Monitor and make it more likely students will come to you for assistance.
- Maintain visibility at all times. Look up from your seat to engage students and make it easier for them to approach you and ask for help. Every 30 minutes (more if the library is busy) walk around reference computers to see if students need assistance.
- While walking around, make sure all computer monitors are powered on, and any student who has left their computer is logged out. Push in chairs and replace pencils and scrap paper in pencil holders
- Assist students with logins, printing, and other basic tech support issues. All students must log in under their WebAdvisor accounts. Refer students to the IT Help Desk in 19/177 for assistance.
- Serve as a resource for students with disabilities. Direct students that need ZoomText software to computers numbered 1 and 2.
- Clean monitors and disinfect computers as needed.
- You are using a shared desk. Maintain a clean work area.
- Game playing is not permitted.
- Keep an accurate log of questions and answers given by the Lab Monitors.
- Enforce library policy to limit non-student computer use to after 1:30 pm, Monday through Friday, during the Fall and Spring semesters. Explain guest printing procedures to non-students (black and white printing only; printouts cost .10 per page; collect printouts at the laser jet printer at the Circulation Desk).
- Assist in opening library computer lab for library instruction classes, or for overflow at busy times if the lab is not in use. Make sure signage indicating lab status is visible.
- Refer students to library staff for research assistance, and elsewhere in Building 19 or other buildings as appropriate (see referral tab).
- Perform additional duties as assigned.